Eating Vegan On a Three Day Sail – And Surviving Cooking In A Small Galley Kitchen!

Posted on April 29, 2011


This is me, enjoying the Gulf breeze.  At first glance, I thought, “Wait, was there actually a solitary moment that I had on deck during our three-day sail?”  But after a closer look, I noticed an extra appendage next to my leg.  Close quarters and my sweet babies always nearby is the only way I would have wanted it.  Chris and I had the best time with our three little ones on this sail.

We have actually begun planning our next two sails.  Both will be overnight trips made this summer and another in the fall.  We agree that the temperature of both the water and night-time air this time of year was near-perfect for longer journeys.

You may be curious, like I was just a week ago…how do you feed a family of fivethree vegan meals a day…plus snacks…on a sailboat…utilizing marine and camping cookware…preparing and serving meals from a tiny galley kitchen…for three days and two nights?  Surprisingly, with a little bit of planning and prep work, it turned out to be pretty easy!  Plus, I got to cook with my Sweetie, which does not happen often since he is usually still at the office during dinner time.

But before we get to the food, let me help you get your bearings.  Here is a view of our kitchen from the living quarters.  Photo was taken near the pull-down dining table (think Murphy bed-style table) that we never used.  It just made more sense to us to take everyone up on deck to eat.  You know, considering our dining company, and that there is a hand-held sprayer up there!

In the galley, we have a two-burner stove, an oven (that we chose not to use so to preserve fuel), a pretty decent-sized cooler/refrigerator, sink and 2 cupboards.  You will also see a photo of our small grill that is on deck.  I highly recommend a grill on board.  It really does come in handy.

As for sleeping and the rest of the boat, in case you are curious…there is a bunk to the left of the kitchen and ladder that we used for emergency gear and other various equipment.  Just forward from that bunk is the navigational station.  On both sides of the photo above you can see the living quarters.  This serves as nice seating during the day.  Both seating areas also pull out to make larger bunks for sleeping at night.  Behind this area is a closet, the restroom that is complete with sink and shower and another “room” at the bow with a bunk that can sleep two (plus a small child) comfortably.  There is a window just above this bunk and another in the living area that pop open to let in nice breezes.

Now on to the food…!

Day 1:

Breakfast – Cereal on land prior to boarding.
Lunch – TLT (Tempeh Lettuce and Tomato Sandwiches made with leftover tempeh from previous evening’s soup garnish).
Snacks – Fruit and Crackers
Dinner – Asian Pasta (Prepared this dish ahead of time and packed in a gallon-size Ziploc bag.  Just had to re-heat on the burner.  Recipe to come).

We were so hungry (and excited) that I forgot to snap a photo of the TLT’s at lunch.  Here is a photo of dinner being prepped the day before we left:

Both evenings after sunset, we let the kids pick a DVD to watch on the laptop.  The first night, everybody curled up on the pull-out bed where W and K slept and snacked while enjoying “Up.”  I retired early with baby boy since I did not know how he would handle not being rocked to sleep.  After playing with the window, then the light over our bunk, he succumbed to the gentle rocking the waves under the boat provided.

Daybreak at the cove where we moored.  What a beautiful gift to behold.

Good morning, baby boy!

Day 2:

Breakfast – Fruit Salad and Lemon Pucker Muffins
Lunch – PBJ’s
Snacks – Fruit and Crackers
Dinner – Grilled Corn on the Cob, Boiled Potatoes, Sautéed Asparagus and Sweet Cherry Tomatoes and Cornbread
Evening Snack – Vegan Marshmallows

Prepping the Lemon Pucker Muffins the day before we left:

Breakfast the first morning on the boat.

Preparing Dinner on the boat.  There is a lot going on in this little kitchen! (There is a little “refrigerator” on the left underneath my prep area.  Food is kept cold with, I believe Chris loaded around, 60 pounds of ice).

Potatoes boiling; veggies sautéing.

Chris bringing the hot, grilled-in-husks, corn on the cob down to the kitchen.  (Notice the nifty grill attached to the railing behind him)?

Dinner is served!

Day 3:

Breakfast – Cinnamon Raisin Bagels and Fruit
Lunch – Veggie Dogs (Cooked on the grill) and Chips.
Snacks – Fruit (canned this time), Crackers and Hummus
Dinner – Tostadas and Mango Rice (Tortillas toasted on the grill; rice, beans and corn cooked in the galley).

Dinner…Chris has a passion for Basmati Rice.

 I have a passion for the black beans!

We had enough food to stay out for a couple more days, but when we arrived at what was going to be our last stop, we discovered the channel was now gone, thanks to Hurricane Ivan.  We decided to just sail on back to our home port, making it back just in time to catch a beautiful sunset.

It was Easter Eve, we had had a wonderful time together as a family.  I was happy I would get to dress the kids up for Easter Sunday and attend church at Worship at the Water.  And the kids were happy that the Easter Bunny would not have to go swimming to find them!  Chris could have gone either way, but we discovered the next evening, while flying kites at a semi-secluded beach with his parents, the true reason our trip ended when it did.  My hubby was a hero and saved a man’s life from drowning.  Stay tuned for a new post on that and the miracles I have been reflecting on since Easter Sunday.

Now, who’s ready to go sailing?!