One night last week, I deviated from our meal plan a bit. I wanted to make a comfort dish for my hubby with an ingredient that he loves.
I just happened to be flipping through the newspaper recipe section (I like to veganize the restaurant dishes that are sometimes included), when I found a recipe for Pasta with Mushroom Sauce. Mushrooms are one of his favorites, and I had the ingredients on hand to veganize the dish. I served it with steamed fresh green beans and salad.
Mushroom Farfalle with Cream Sauce:
- 1 box farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup Tofutti cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine, and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Add cooked pasta, cream cheese and parsley. Season with additional salt, if needed.