I love Paula Deen. Yes, I am vegan, and I love Paula Deen. Even though she is the Queen of Butter, she has inspired me on many occasions to bake or cook up a southern dish that would make you want to kiss your Mama!
Several years ago, my Dad got me hooked on the Food Network. I spent many evenings with Paula, Rachel or Sandra on the tv while I juggled dinner and the witching hour with a toddler. (If you’re a Mom, you know that hour between 5:00 and 6:00pm? Yep, I learned the hard way that a toddler keeps a different evening schedule than we do)!
So, today we were on the road once again, and I stopped in CVS to pick up some water and a few things for our day trip. I paused at the magazine stand to pickup something to read during the ride. I flipped through several mags, but Paula kept smiling back at me every time I glanced her way. So, I decided I would go with Cooking with Paula Deen to see if I could veganize the multiple bread recipes in this issue.
Would you know that once on the road I was delighted to find several dishes that were already vegan or vegetarian and several more that will be easy to veganize? My husband even commented on the photo of Paula on the cover that she looks thinner. Maybe she’s converting to a less buttery, more healthy eating lifestyle? I hope so.
Look for the September/October 2010 issue in a store near you. I have included below a list of recipes in this issue that are already vegan or will be easy to convert using no animal protein ingredients. “Best dishes!”
- Cheese Grits
- Apple-Yogurt Parfait
- Whole-Wheat Silver Dollar Pancakes
- Tomato-Mint Salad with Fig Vinaigrette
- Slow Cooker Veggie Spaghetti Sauce
- Slow Cooker Three-Bean Soup
- Chili-Lime Southwest Wraps
- Italian-Seasoned “Chick-lesss” Pasta and Vegetables
- Cajun-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- Spicy Vegetarian Chili
- Spinach and White Bean Penne (which is very similar to the mostaccioli we kept seeing up north)
- Seared Bok Choy
- Carmelized Onions and Apples
- Zesty Marinated Vegetables
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Pumpkin Crunch Mix
- Pomegranate-Pear Sorbet
- Virgin Bloody Mary (wasn’t sure where to categorize this, so thought Snacks would do)!
- Candied Apples
- Chocolate Biscuit Bread Pudding
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Apple Buttery Pear Pie
- Several Breads Recipes (including a Lavender Tea bread and Chocolate Banana Bread that are first on my list)!